You are here
A Lot Can Happen in a Decade
While the South African film industry dates back more than a 100 years, it started to come into its own in the last 10, emerging as a leading service destination and a producer of award-winning content.
South Africa has hosted a wide variety of film, television and commercial shoots. including:
- Emmy winners for HBO (Generation Kill) and Bad Hat Harry (The Triangle) and nominees for Fox (24: Redemption), Anthony Minghella (No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency), The History Channel (America: The Story of Us) and ITV/AMC (The Prisoner)
- Cannes Lions Grand Prix winners for Traktor (Fox Sports India, China, and Turkey)
- Oscar nominees for Clint Eastwood (Invictus); Neill Blomkamp (District 9); Ed Zwick (Blood Diamond); and Terry George (Hotel Rwanda)
- A Golden Globe nominee for Pete Travis (Endgame)
In the process, we've hosted some of the world's biggest stars, including Robert Pattison, Daniel Craig, Samuel L. Jackson, Nicholas Cage, Morgan Freeman, Leonardo di Caprio, Matt Damon, Kiefer Sutherland and Hilary Swank.
There have been South African connections on some of the most important projects of the last ten years, from The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, The Lord of the Rings and Slumdog Millionaire to The Hurt Locker, Wolverine and Avatar.
The highlights haven't come bigger than the FIFA 2010 World Cup, the world's most watched sporting event. In addition to the massive global exposure, South Africa is reaping the benefits from the construction boom that preceded the event: we now offer world-leading stadiums, airports, film studios and hotels to match our incomparable beaches, vineyards, mountains and wildlife.
From first world to third world to science fiction, South Africa offers the universe in one country.
11 Reasons to Shoot in South Africa
- Co-financing, including the DTI rebate
- Varied locations within close proximity
- World-leading, non-unionised crew
- English is spoken across S.A.
- S.A. is two hours ahead of Greenwich Mean Time and one hour ahead of Central European Time, so has compatible timezones with Europe
- South Africa's summer is during the Northern Hemisphere's winter
- Experienced, ethnically diverse talent
- High-end post, VFX and animation
- First-world infrastructure
- Cape Town Film Studios offers Hollywood-style facilities